May 28, 2005

 

Life.

What can one say about it. It's here, there's a lot of it. It keeps going and going, keeping you busy, existing because it is.
Mine - well, it's like many others, but unlike any other at the same time, since it is mine. Today was interesting. Andrew finally got his big thesis on Georgia written, which I helped by proofing. A lot fo work went into that. Made for an interesting read. He's just about done now.
Talked with Sale today also - he's graduating first in his department. Pretty amazing stuff. Starting to feel anxiety about leaving Cali though. New York will be quite a change. Couple pieces still have to fall into place for that though, so it's not quite 100% certain yet.
I'm on the job hunt, kind of. Went to an "administrative associate" recruiting event at Google on Wednesday. I don't know if anything will come of it, but I think Google would be a dream job for me.
Started a new book yesterday. I still am reading a couple others, but I never seem to just read one book at a time. Almost through Celebration of Disipline now, but Modern French Poetry has kind of lost my attention. Sensual Love Poems is quite good though. In it I discovered a new poet that I like - Izumi Shikibu. There is one or two poems by her in the book, but I went online and found a bunch more. The one that caught my attention is "In This World"

In this world
love has no color
yet how deeply
my body
is stained by yours.

or, if you prefer...

yo no naka ni
kofi tefu iro fa
nakaredomo
Fukaku mi ni simu
mono ni zo arikeru

That's some good stuff. She wrote that somewhere around a thousand years ago. Anyway, I decided to start into my Kunitz book also, which I carried around with me today, reading when I could. I'm noticing that he had a whale theme commonly in his writing. That's interesting because it was a whale poem of his that initially attracted me to his stuff. For a class a while back I worked on Kunitz's "Wellfleet Whale" and Merwin's "Leviathan." Some good stuff - very different, but both quite powerful. I hope to someday be like Kunitz - live a long time, be poet laureate, and write some amazing poetry. I guess you cuold say he's kind of role-modelish for me - at least in a professional sense. I don;t know enough about the man personally to say other than that. He does have an amazing reading voice though. If you have the chance, you should try to find a video or audio clip of him online sometime and check it out.

Well, that's going to do it for me folks. I'd like to try to start writing more reflectional stuff, but I'm not quite there yet. One of my online friends is kind of inspiring me to move in that direction. I'll get there eventually. I used to be so introspectional and self-reflective, but I've moved away from that in recent years. Well, especially with writing about it. I still do it to a fair degree, but I don't write my thoughts down as much as I used to. I need to though ~ forgetting is one of the biggest enemies we face. Writing, in blog form or however, helps us to remember not only who we are, but what our relationship with God is, and what He does in our lives.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?