August 12, 2005

 
Just got back from 40-50 minutes of standing out in the dark loneliness of the wilds of Clayton (I could hear coyotes from multiple directions) with my head craned so far back if it had started to rain I would have drowned. I got to see 19 or so meteors though - a nice display of the 2005 Perseid Meteor Shower. I say 19 "or so" because there are so many things that you think you see, but are not sure. If all those things on the fringe of my vision were meteors also, that number would be bumped up to over 30 - but I can't say for certain. It could just be my imagination, or a crimped nerve from staring up too long. Mostly though, the ones I saw I saw quite well - about half a dozen of those were really beautiful --- bright streaks that raced across the sky and left trails that hung in the sky a full half second, burning there ephermal existence into your memory.

I love watching shooting stars. And don't get started about using the proper terminology - I don't want to. One makes a wish on a shooting star, not on the debris of a comet that is burning up as it enters the earth's atmosphere. I didn't really have any wishes to make, but still, I like to think about it. I like to wish I had wishes.

Well, till next time --- but if you missed it this year, you're out of luck for next year - next year there's going to be a moon...
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?