August 23, 2007

 

Consistency

If you want to create a new habit, consistency is key. One of my favorite blogs, lifehacker.com, has numerous articles on "installing" habits of all colors and sizes. I especially liked one linked article from learning trainer S. Burns about making your bad habits hard to do, and your good ones easy, and one from Jerry Seinfeld about "not breaking the chain." I used to do something in the same vein with a large size desk calendar taken apart and posted on my closet, when I was in school. I somehow lost that habit, and I think it's hurt me. That's actually something I need to get back into doing I think. Seeing the next couple of months at a glance can be really helpful, and seeing the days and events getting crossed off really helps you to have a sense of accomplishment, as well as time passing, to help you not to waste what time you have.
Anyway, the best advice or most amazing knowledge is nothing if not acted on, so beyond the knowing, you have to actively keep up with the doing as well. Synergy is a buzzword, but it's also a great reality. Things in your life have to work together - if you're always fighting with yourself, or stumbling over your own messes all the time, nothing will get done, and your life will quickly pass before your eyes without anything being done and without you having made any impact or difference.
It's not about speed or quantity, but consistency. Sure, consistently fast and large is better than consistently small and slow, but consistently small and slow is better than sporadically fast and large. Basic financial advice; basic life advice.
In life, know who you are, know who you want to be, and then figure out how you are going to get there. AND commit to making that "dream you" a reality. Don't give up so easily when you hit a setback. Don't fall prey to being "too easily satisfied" (See A.W. Tozer's "Pursuit of God" for the reference - PDF here - right click to download).
There's so much that can be said on this subject, but I would not be taking my own advice if that's all I did. My focus with this blog is to make (better) record of my life and thoughts, and to get back in the habit of writing. Sure, this isn't highbrow stuff (at least not right now), but that's not my aim - I just need to get back to writing, consistently. At least that's one thing we can count on from Christ - no matter what happens with us or in our lives, HE never changes (1, 2). In that we can take comfort; in that we can find our example and goal.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?