August 19, 2007

 

The problem with life

The problem with living is that someday you're going to die.

I would say that I've seen my fair share of death, and then some. I
still have both my parents, but there are a lot of other people I've
lost, and more beyond that that I've lost in other ways. Death always
has a way of making you stop, and think, and reassess.
Like I mentioned in the last post, I lost my dog Mariah recently.
Today after church there was a memorial service for someone from the
school our church is associated with - after our service I helped the
son get the slideshow he had made of his dad's life to work on the
computer - his dad had been only 57. And also today I found out that a
friend, that I knew has cancer, probably won't live out the year, and
might not live out the month. This friend has had death visit her
before, taking her 13 year old daughter, who fell off a cliff while at
camp.
Death never takes a break, never a holiday, never a rest. No matter
how long you live, you know that eventually, it's going to come for
you. A lot of people try to avoid that fact, but it's one thing you
cannot avoid. This is not a reason to be fatalistic, or to live only
for this day, tossing all thought of tomorrow to the wind. No -
realizing and accepting the fact of death *should* make you realize
that it is essential to live each day, each moment, to its fullest. I
guess that's kind of the idea behind the name of this blog, even
though I created it a long time ago. Life's funny that way.
I guess what I'm saying...is live by the cliches. Dance like no one is
watching. Live as each day could be your last. Live without regret.
Live like Christ died yesterday, rose today, and is coming tomorrow.
Cliches, one and all - but they have truth in them - if you CHOOSE, if
you are able, to see it. The tough part then is to live it. As
Gibson's Wallace said, "All men die, but not all men really live."
Living this way might not make facing death any easier, but it will
make living better. It is the way God intends for us to live, through
Christ.

"I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."
John 10:10b

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?